Friday, August 16, 2013

365 Less Things


Compliments of Marrissa Joy Photography

As I sit inside writing on a summer day in Maine, I am looking around at the things that we have accumulated in our lifetime. My youngest just got married this summer; I realize that it's just the 2 of us now. After 29 years of marriage, raising 2 children, and moving only twice since tying the “knot” we have managed to fill our 4 bedroom house with lots of memories….and things….and stuff…and junk…

How did that happen? When the boys were young, we would get to the point that outgrown outfits, toys that weren’t being played with, and old school papers needed to be purged. Usually it would happen when we started going through last year’s school clothes and realized that most of them didn’t fit anymore. Why they grow more in the summer, is beyond me!

The purging took place with a resignation on my children’s part, that they wouldn’t be allowed to go outside and play until it was done. I’m not sure whether they felt a sense of accomplishment or not, but I sure did.

But as good as I was at keeping their rooms updated and cleaned out, I can’t say that all areas in the house received the same kind of attention. Over the years I have redecorated, (which means I have things that don’t go with the new décor); have been given unwanted gifts I don’t dare throw away, gained weight, lost weight, (hence, a closet full of clothes) collected books, craft projects, well, you get the picture.

Finally, it is time to start simplifying. It is a daunting task. Then I am reminded of what a friend told me when we were selling our first house and moving across the country… ”how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time..” I didn’t understand what she meant until later. How do you begin a huge task? Break it into small pieces. Sometimes beginning is the hardest part.

So if you’re feeling the need to de-clutter, purge, organize, simplify and don’t know where to begin; or if you are hanging on to things “just in case” I might need that “someday”…..here’s a good place to start.

Check out Colleen's blog www.365lessthings.com She lives in Australia.

And happy de-cluttering!!

Oh, and if you're looking for something to de-clutter your brain, check out 24K -- it has recently been awarded a US GOVT patent, which means there is NOTHING like it on the market! Energy, mental clarity and focus.

To order: go to www.my24kvip.com and use the code: myshot


No comments:

Post a Comment