Saturday, June 22, 2013

How do you eat an elephant? ONE BITE AT A TIME!!



Do you ever feel like some projects are so overwhelming, so big or even frightening, that you get paralyzed before you even start? I have seen this happen in my business with people who say they want to build a business but never leave the starting gate; I’ve also seen this happen with individuals who want to be more active but don’t know where to start.
I started riding a bicycle again. It wasn’t really my idea; I inherited a bike from my younger son who, after college graduation, didn’t want it anymore. Then a friend encouraged me to go on rides with her. Yikes! Really? I wasn’t even sure how I felt about getting on the bike, let alone riding it for more than a few minutes. But last year, little by little, I started feeling more comfortable with it.
This year, when I got the bike out again, I didn’t know if I would have the strength and cardiovascular endurance to get to the top of our road! Now, if you live on or near me, you know what kind of road it is, so I’m not being a wimp. The road is a mile long and is a gradual incline the entire way -- no flat area to coast, no rest, just continuous peddling.
At first, I thought, no way. I won’t make it. My goal was a 6 mile round trip to and from Pineland, with a workout in between. The first day I got up the road without stopping, but had to walk up one of the other bigger hills to get to Pineland. But here’s the thing; even if I have to walk that hill several times, by the end of summer, I will bet that I can get up that hill without having to walk.

This is called, one step at a time. One bite at a time. The slight edge. It’s not that you can’t do it. It means that you may have to take it a little bit at a time. Whatever your goal -- whether it’s a business goal, a financial goal, a fitness goal; they all start with one step. Too many times I think we expect instant success! The big break! The lottery! The million dollar client! The six pack abs. Tomorrow! Life isn’t really like that. Most of us have choices everyday that will take us forward towards our goals, or backwards into mediocrity. Every little decision that seems insignificant TODAY, is not insignificant over time. Do the little things every day, and they will add up to big rewards. A good book to read is “The Slight Edge” by Jeff Olson.

And if you see a hippy woman riding a bike, give her lots of space as you pass her!! (she wobbles sometimes)…


The woman in the picture isn't me, but it is a fellow rider of a friend who is on the BIG RIDE -- a trek across America 3300 miles!!  To check out his blog, go to  https://jeffsloanbigride2013.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment