Friday, November 7, 2014

The Turkey gets pushed out in favor of Santa Claus




I see it….as I drive home from the day’s activities. There are a handful of people who already have their Christmas lights on!! Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the Christmas season (although I think the whole idea that it is Jesus’ birthday, not ours, gets lost in all the gift giving, but that’s a topic for another day)
The point I’m trying to make is that sometimes we hurry up the moment to get to the next big “thing”.
Life is a journey. I know you’ve heard that before, but it needs reminding. Enjoy today. Enjoy the moments. Enjoy the people that are a part of your daily existence on this earth. When I have a particularly stressful day ahead of me, I wish for it to be over. But, as I go about the day, I realize that the different parts that make the whole are not so bad after all. One minute, one hour at a time. Tackle one problem at a time. One situation at a time. Enough said.

Life is a journey, and so is the road to better health. Trust me, I have had my fair share of diets and “get thin quick” disasters. I didn’t gain weight in a matter of weeks; what makes me think I could lose weight in a matter of weeks? And keep it off?
I didn’t get unhealthy in the last few days…and I’m not going to change all of my habits at once! I would be very unhappy!

Health is a journey. Start with one “bad habit” and change it. Here are 6 suggestions for "I DON"T KNOW WHERE TO START"
Don’t tackle them all at once. Start with ONE. These suggestions are not necessarily just for those trying to lose weight. It's also good to remember that your body will function better with good nutrition. By changing unhealthy habits, you can help yourself avoid diabetes, heart disease, cancer, arthritis and other diseases.

  1. stop drinking soda (even diet soda. Studies have linked diet soda drinkers to greater risk of diabetes, stroke, heart attack and decline in kidney function)
   SWITCH: flavored seltzer water without sugar, plain tea with lemon,  a splash of fruit juice in a big glass of water….

  1. do 10 sit-ups, 10 pushups and 10 squats. That’s all. Every other day, not every day. Walk 5 minutes. Then 10. Then 15.....one foot in front of the other.
Can’t do pushups? Do them against the wall. Look at acefitness.org for correct way to do these. ACE is a non profit organization that certifies instructors (like me) and provides helpful information.

  1. Cut out potatoes and bread.
 SWITCH: eat Ezekiel sprouted bread. (in the freeze aisle. It is low glycemic which won’t have your blood sugars going crazy) For dinner, eat a protein, cooked veggie and a salad. It takes a while. My husband and I went from eating potatoes or pasta every night to eating salads with our meal every night. Mix up the salads – spinach, kale, lettuce, savory or sweet. Try different ones until you find some favorites.

  1. Cut out dessert and candy.
  SWITCH: eat yogurt for dessert. There are so many yummy flavors out there these days. Try to stay away from the artificial sweeteners if you can. If you want, you can add fresh or frozen berries on top. Sprinkle with Stevia or a little honey. Add a teaspoon of nuts. Our favorite is Lemon Meringue with a crumbled graham cracker (one square) on top. We split an 8 oz cup, which isn’t much but it is enough to satisfy us.
  1. Quit eating fast food for lunch.
SWITCH: bring your own. It takes planning, but you wouldn’t believe how much sugar, salt and fat you’ll be cutting out by making your own. I used to eat a burger, fries or taco 3 times a week! Now, I can’t stand them. Try tuna fish salad, chicken salad made from last nights dinner; Egg salad, ham or roast beef slices rolled around cucumber and cream cheese; Make a big batch of soup on Sunday and eat it all week. Same with a lettuce salad. How about your own quiche? That would be about 4 lunches….and you control what goes into it when you make it yourself. My son made some changes to his lunch and lost weight. He used to make a ham sandwich, potato chips, cookies and soda. Now he eats the sandwich, a yogurt, apple and milk.

  1. Stop eating in front of the TV.
SWITCH: if you find yourself in front of the refrigerator, make some hot tea. Or get some of those sunflower seeds in the shell. They take forever to open. The other alternative is put something else in your hands while sitting – like knitting, Sudoku, a kindle game (I know there are a lot of Candy Crush peeps out there) Just try it for a week. You’ll be surprised after a while, you won’t miss it. Are you really hungry? Opt for some almond butter and apple slices. It will fill you up and won’t raise your blood sugar.

I know a lot of you are already on the healthy track. Please share by commenting what you do that might benefit others!


No comments:

Post a Comment